TIP: Use Markdown or, <pre> for multi line code blocks / <code> for inline code.
These forums are read-only and for archival purposes only!
Please join our new forums at discourse.kohanaframework.org
Is Kohana still supported?
  • Hello people,

I wanted to ask if Kohana is still supported, as it's model "CodeIgniter" is no longer supported? With supported I mean: Is the framework being updated by it's core developers?

Thank you very much in advance

• Just found this as well: https://github.com/kohana/ohanzee/blob/master/contributors.html#L32

Uh oh, I guess the cat is out of the bag now. ;)

• Interesting. I've been thinking it was quiet... I guess it's not going to get any louder.

Ah well. Thanks for all the fish. :-)

• Ohloh paints a nice picture too. http://www.ohloh.net/p/ko3

Especially, http://www.ohloh.net/p/ko3/factoids#FactoidActivityDecreasing

Ohanzee sounds interesting, rest in pieces Kohana :-)

• I wonder if Kohana Team will ever post honest info:

Dear Kohana community. We abandoned the project. Ohanzee will be just some libraries that anyone can separate from Kohana. Please, go to see Laravel, Aura or any other framework that look decent to you.

:)

I never thought that FuelPHP will outlive Kohana... With their new Core 2.0 they can make a difference, or at least they try.

• @thejw23 The fact is that there are better frameworks out there than Kohana. So why not use those? Even the core devs. suggest this...

• @feketegy It doesn't matter if I use Kohana or not. What matters is: why there is no clear info "Kohana as we knew it is abandoned"? So any new developer looking at Kohana would know what this framework (for now) has no future. Main site is still like in good old times, suggesting that there is active development going on. It isn't. There is some doevlopment, but "active" was few years ago. Don't you think that it would be honest to say that on the front page?

• They will say it, i think...

• I wonder if Kohana Team will ever post honest info:

That's pretty rude.

• Frameworks are a detail that don't matter in the big picture.

• I realized: Kohana is no longer Kohana. It's kohana, a shadow of a project it was few years ago. A project with so bright future. But something went wrong, Woody moved away from programming (IIRC), Zombor moved away to Ruby, maybe few other things... And there it is: kohana.

I'm not sure what ohanzee will be, but it doesn't matter - it will never be "another Kohana", it will be yet another personal project, github is full of them.

Realizing that there is no more and will never be another Kohana - it helps to move to another FW. RIP Kohana.

Zombor - framework is a detail. But you know that it matters. In ruby you are not using any framework? RoR is bad, Symfony2 is worthless, Django is pointless? I know, aplication should be separated from framework, but FW is nice to deal with frontend/CRUD, yep, we use it now and then...

• What makes sense to talk about the past? It is time to discuss what to do in the future. Nobody bothers to engage core refactoring and after completion we can discuss whether to create a new fork or use this.

Ohanzee is a personal project of shadowhand, rather than an overall. Simple update Kohana code in accordance with the PSR and using namespaces does not make sense. In the beginning it is necessary to develop a new concept\mechanism, revise existing functional classes and then rewrite the code.

•     Uh oh, I guess the cat is out of the bag now.
        That's pretty rude.
        Frameworks are a detail that don't matter in the big picture.

A simple "No" would have been more helpful.

• I'm not sure what ohanzee will be, but it doesn't matter - it will never be "another Kohana", it will be yet another personal project, github is full of them.

You're making a pretty bold claim here, without knowing all (any?) of the facts.

• In ruby you are not using any framework?

Actually I really am not using any web framework anymore. We have a simple router that works with the rack interface, and we pretty much hand roll all our controller code. A "web framework" really doesn't provide much of anything.

I've been doing stuff in Go also, and don't use any "framework" there either. There's some web toolkits we use that abstract the http part of the delivery. That's all you need.

Of course we use "frameworks" for things like database abstractions and validations and stuff.

Big web frameworks like kohana, fuel or anything like them are a thing of the past.

• Seems like a good to invite people to try http://phpixie.com , especially those who would really like to get started with using namespaces.

• Shadowhand - thank you, "Final releases of Kohana / Beginning of Ohanzee" is the info that I really wanted to see since this is clear statement about current Kohana state. And thank you for all hard work you have put into Kohana, you made it top framework for a lot of people (including me) and when you left the project it started it's way down.

I wish the best to Ohanzee, currently I'm Laravel and Slim user, but I will keep my eye on Ohanzee, you already showed that you can create software that makes a difference. Chapeau bas!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion