TIP: Use Markdown or, <pre> for multi line code blocks / <code> for inline code.
These forums are read-only and for archival purposes only!
Please join our new forums at discourse.kohanaframework.org
Combining $_POST and $_FILES Validation
  • I'm trying to validate both $_POST and $_FILES data and I have the following problem. Upload:: validation is working as expected. However $_POST variable validation seems to have no effect at all.

With the code below all of the building_file validation works but the building_id validation doesn't work. I've used the same rule for building_id many places in my code and it works just fine. Is there something special that I need to do with file upload POST requests for validating values in the $_POST array?

$post = Validate::factory(array_merge($_POST, $_FILES));

$post->rule('building_id', 'numeric');

$post->rule('building_file', 'Upload::not_empty', array());
    $post->rule('building_file', 'Upload::valid', array());
    $post->rule('building_file', 'Upload::type', array(array('xls', 'xlsx')));
    $post->rule('building_file', 'Upload::size', array('1M'));

$view = View::factory('saveresponseplainview');

$response_str = '';

if ($post->check())
    {
    //ok
    }
    else
    {
    //error
    }

• Do this instead:

$post = Validate::factory(array_merge($_POST, $_FILES))
    ->rule('building_id', 'numeric')
    ->rules('building_file', array(
    'Upload::not_empty' => NULL,
    'Upload::valid' => NULL,
    'Upload::type' => array('xls', 'xlsx'),
    'Upload::size' => array('1M')
    );

Then be sure that your form element opens with the multipart/form-data, if this isn't present then you are not going to have anything in the $_FILES array:

<form action="/upload/save" enctype="multipart/form-data" method="post">
  • awellis,

Thanks for the response. I've already validated that I have the file in $_FILES. I had originally formatted my validation code as you have it. I ended up pulling it apart into separate statements to see if I could figure out what was going on.

Strange thing is that I haven't changed anything and the validation is now working. Not sure why. If I figure out what I changed I'll post a follow up here in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion