Forums are in read-only mode while we transition to new software.
cronjob with Kohana
  • Hello

I have a server with ubuntu I want to run a cron job which runs the method "index" of the controller "updater" one time per minute or one time per day, not sure yet.

I have VERY basic knowledge in linux, and I don't know what to do. I have read that with kohana is very easy to do a cronjob, but I don't understand how.

VERY IMPORTANT: I don't even know how to find where php is in my server... and if I do php in the console I get The program 'php5' is currently not installed.

Can someone explain to me how to do a cronjob as I was a 5 years old child? Thank you very much :)

• By the way, I use Kohana 3.0

• i would do it like this:
    type crontab -e
    append a line like this:
    56 * * * * /usr/bin/wget -O - -q -t 1 http://yourdomain.com/updater/ >/dev/null 2>&1
    and save the file. Thats once an hour@56 minutes btw.

• omg That's so perfect thank you very much :)

That command is chinese for me, but it works like a charm :)

• Don't do that. You can call it with index.php on the command line.

php index.php --uri=<whatever-it-is>

Don't use curl or wget on the command line.

• better dont use external url can be acccessed from web

• VERY IMPORTANT: I don't even know how to find where php is in my server

whereis php say path to php

• Well, it's not important if it's possible to access this from the web... so I will use the external url anyway :)

Medar... I did that command and this is the response:

php:

Thank you guys, you are the best :)

• I followed instructions I found here (and on several other places) to use the following code for a cronjob:

php index.php --uri=my_controller/my_method

but it always brings me to the default controller of my website (the default route). I don't understand why. When I call the my_controller/my_method from a browser, it works fine.

I also tried php index.php --uri="my_controller/my_method"

with the same problematic result.

I hope somebody on this forum can shed some light on it.

• problem solved!

I unintentionally started php as cgi instead of cli (/usr/bin/php versus /usr/local/bin/php) I found the answer here: http://dev.kohanaframework.org/issues/3638

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion